August 6, 2007

Women

Filed under: Women — mlah @ 10:15 am

i see women.

i see women everywhere!

and some of them are wearing shorts!

it is soooo nice to be out of that God-frsaken shithole.

1. Welcome home buddy. I spent some time out there also and that was the first thing that got me too once I got back to civilization…..lingerie ads on buses…..”holy cow LOOK AT THAT!!!”
    Ah yes….god bless out little outpost of infidel-land

Rob

Comment by Rob — August 6, 2007 @ 12:17 pm

2. Dude, first things first… titty bar.

Comment by medium john — August 6, 2007 @ 5:01 pm

3. I’ve heard that there is a little problem with our people coming back from da ‘stan w/ heroin addictions. did you notice any of that?

Comment by trick_shot_f-in_cheny — August 6, 2007 @ 9:51 pm

4. Did I hear titty bar? I’m down. I mean…..what?

Comment by Kristen — August 6, 2007 @ 10:29 pm

5. Gus, WTF? Where are you hearing such things? Daily KOS? Because I can’t find it on a simple Google search, I’ve not heard it through my BUMED contacts, and it sure as heck ain’t being talked about in the newspaper. Hmmm… could this be some of that anonymously-sourced information that Sy Hersh is pushing?

Or are you just making this up, since back in ‘nam we had our boys coming home hooked on drugs? Trying to tie the current war in with the one from the previous generation? Oh wait a tick — speaking of the drug problem in ‘nam, the drugs [ushed to our troops were a deliberate attempt by the Soviets to demoralize our fighting forces. Even had one of their pharmaceutical factories in Czechoslovakia processing heroin to sell to our troops in Germany. But nah, we won’t look at that aspect of the problem. Best to blame ourselves and our government for the problem. Can’t cast it as a tactic of the Cold War opposition.

I seriously am interested in where you got this from. Please tell! C’mon, who’s your pusher?

Comment by yup — August 7, 2007 @ 12:36 am

6. Oh, and Mlah, I hope your homecoming was all you expected it to be. Now get out there and mow the lawn!

Comment by yup — August 7, 2007 @ 12:37 am

7. You got smack? Cool!

Oh and I second, TITTY BAR! Your passes are still at my house btw. Bernice knows where they are.

Comment by Mark — August 8, 2007 @ 3:35 pm

8. Oh. Screw Germany. Come here and party for a couple days.

Comment by Mark — August 8, 2007 @ 3:36 pm

9. Yup: “Gus, WTF? Where are you hearing such things?”
    You’ll probably have to click thru a brief ad first. Here’s the money graf: “Nearly every veteran of Operation Enduring Freedom I have spoken with was familiar with heroin’s availability on base, and most knew at least one soldier who used while deployed.” Plus, one of the letters following up on the article mentions Russian teevee talking about many of the veterans of their war in Afghanistan having gotten hooked, so it’s natural to suppose that it might be happening to our forces to some degree now, too.

Yup: “Trying to tie the current war in with the one from the previous generation?”
    No, I was not, at all. It was a totally here-and-now question to Mlah (i.e. not you) who was there.

“speaking of the drug problem in ‘nam, the drugs [ushed to our troops were a deliberate attempt by the Soviets to demoralize our fighting forces.”
    I hadn’t heard that connection. Can you link to some evidence about it? I have, however, heard about the CIA’s drug-running in SE Asia and elsewhere:

“But nah, we won’t look at that aspect of the problem. Best to blame ourselves and our government for the problem. Can’t cast it as a tactic of the Cold War opposition.”
    Maybe it’s a tactic of the terrists (sic)?

Comment by trick_shot_f-in_cheny — August 8, 2007 @ 7:28 pm

10. Leave it to these guys to turn a post about women into a political debate. Get a girlfriend already fellas.

Comment by medium john — August 8, 2007 @ 9:17 pm

11. so, what exactly is it about your gf that keeps you out of political debates? is there something maybe that i don’t know? y’all play monopoly or something? nothing else is happpening right? 😉

Comment by mlah — August 9, 2007 @ 1:11 am

12. Perhaps MJ’s gf is an uber-liberal and he can’t stand her throwing the smackdown on him. So he avoids politics. Maybe?

MJ, Mrs Yup doesn’t want to talk politics because it sickens her how the politicians sell us out for the cold hard cash (and not just the stuff that they keep in the freezer). She hates having the military undermined and denigrated at home all the while they tell us that we’re overseas as the first line of defense. So my political arguments often get limited to whatever Gus offers to debate.

Gus, yes, the question was aimed at Mlah. However, it was done in an open forum. You have provided clarification of your argument and now Mlah, should he choose to do so, can respond. Although I have had some interesting discussions with my BUMED sources about the high incidence of HIV in Italy coming from the Mafia’s importation of Nigerian (and other African) prostitutes, and the syphillus coming in with the East European prostitutes, and drug-resistant staph infections, and H5N1 here in the Mediterranean, nothing has been mentioned about rampant heroin problems with our troops downrange.

Comment by yup — August 9, 2007 @ 2:06 am

13. actually, I am MJ’s girlfriend.

Comment by Kristen — August 9, 2007 @ 7:27 am

14. and yes, we do love our monopoly game nights.

Comment by Kristen — August 9, 2007 @ 7:28 am

15. Kristen, you are MJ’s girlfriend and you’re down with titty bars??? MJ, don’t let her get away from you!!!!!!!!

Comment by yup — August 9, 2007 @ 8:35 am

16. Yup: You have provided clarification of your argument and now Mlah, should he choose to do so, can respond.
    C’mon, Mlah! Be honest. Until you answer, I will consider your silence to mean “It’s true, but I don’t want to say it.” And when you deny it, I will consider you a liar since you avoided answering it earlier and just want me to shut up.

Comment by Trick_Shot_F-in_Cheney — August 10, 2007 @ 2:10 am

17. no heroin problems i know of gus. remember i was stuck on base, where i liked it. i heard rumors of ways to ‘attain’ drugs if i had wanted. but i just don’t do drugs.

i knew nobody with any problems. never heard of anyone with drug problmes either.

Comment by mlah — August 10, 2007 @ 1:41 pm

18. Mlah: i heard rumors of ways to ‘attain’ drugs if i had wanted.
    Could you elaborate on that? What kinds of drugs, and what “ways”?

Comment by trick_shot_f-in_cheny — August 10, 2007 @ 7:32 pm

19. Gus, Mlah likely is refering to the same sorts of rumors one might hear on a college campus or in a night club in the U.S. You want something? There’s a way to get it. I hear about military folks coming back from vacation in Amsterdam, for example, who get popped in Operation Golden Flow. But a handful of such people does not translate into a massive or chronic problem for the military.

Sheesh. You are trying to make some sort of issue out of this. Turn some rumors that Mlah heard — which as I note are common to any part of our society — into some sort of massive heroin problem faced by the U.S. military as a result of its operations in Afghanistan. Which of course is all George Bush’s fault!

I read that article in Salon. By the way, I’m sure Salon prints only scientifically verified and critiqued articles, as does the New Republic. The author cites 30,000 opiate addicts in VA care — most of whom are Vietnam-era veterans. The article cites 9,000 Afghanistan-era veterans seeking treatment for addiction problems, without identifying the sorts of addiction (alcohol? gambling? pr0n? caffeine?). The article cites anonymous veterans, Reservists, and active troops for their admissions of heroin use, or their knowledge of other soldiers’ heroin use. (“Scott Thomas” has made charges and other soldiers supposedly verified the veracity of those stories to the New republic, too. The Army investigation says otherwise.) In short, I fear that there are a few soldiers out there who dip into the drug culture, but I do not believe there is a widespread problem as you and the author suggest. (Unlike in Vietnam, the military has random drug testing that it carries out even in combat areas.) Heroin is ubiquitous in Afghanistan, which is all the author’s forays into the bazaar proved, and that is no suprise given that Afghanistan produces 90% of the global supply. That’s like going into some shops in Atlanta and then claiming there is a Coca-Cola addiction problem in that city.

Comment by yup — August 11, 2007 @ 5:30 am