mlah The culture that has evolved here isnt conducive to sissies

August 5, 2007

D-Day + 3

Filed under: Personal — mlah @ 12:54 pm

so i’m in the airport meow.

once at the airport, i walked around for a long time but eventually, meow, my backpack started to get heavy. so i sat in the pizza express for 3 hours drinking coke. when i was here in kuwait …. a freaking year ago, i used to tip the waiters there nicely. i ate there a lot, and they’re no kuwaiti, so if you tip them, they wait on you and let the kuwaitis sit.

one of my waiters is still over there. he remembered me and was very happy to let me sit and feed me fountain coke. he knew i’d tip him.

but meow, once the ticket counter opened, i got my boarding pass and hit customs.

right meow, i’m in a business class lounge on free internet. i forgot a LAN cable for my computer, and i don’t have a wall adapter for my american plug anyway.

i’m going to go eat in a second.

one day. one more day

14 hours to dulles, 6 at dulles. then less than 4 to satx.

oh i just got on amazon and bought the “margaritaville frozen concoction maker”. it should get to my house in around a week.

meow, someone accused me of getting old. all because i will not tolerate the army’s austere living conditions if i don’t have to.

sorry, but i was in the navy. not the army. and that soldier was an e-5 or 6. no rocker.

oh! stroke of luck again today. seems an ex navy pilot and now clinical psych type was in the hotel with me. we got a nice ride to the airport together. part of his job meow is to check on the stories his patients give him.

so he grilled me about my living conditions. i was blunt and truthful. he was shocked when i told him that some of my coworkers were so shocked at the living conditions in the stan, that they preferred to risk the danger in baghdad.

wonder if anything will ever come of it.

1. So… what all can you do for six hours in Dulles?

Comment by Kristen — August 5, 2007 @ 3:41 pm

2. I’m sorry. Did you say “meow?”

Comment by Mark — August 5, 2007 @ 3:47 pm

3. […] so i’m in the airport meow.  i waited as long as i could at the hotel and got a ride to the airport at 3 pm. in the mercedes. i quite like it. once at the airport, i walked around for a long time but eventually, meow, my backpack started to get… …more […]

Pingback by Kuwait » Blog Archive » D-Day + 3 — August 5, 2007 @ 7:21 pm

4. My cats are jumping up onto the cpomputer now. What’s with the “meow” anyway, are you trying to tell us you feel like the proverbial alley cat?

Comment by yup — August 6, 2007 @ 6:02 am

5. No rocker, e-5. I hope you put her in her place, both as a former senior-ranking military member and as a guest in the Army’s spacious and comfy lodgings.

One of my neighbors just got back from 15 months in the ‘stan doing an IA because the Army ain’t got the troops to handle the load. You know, they had to appeal to the Navy for assistance. Anyway, he spent the entire time being called “major” — and his enlisted Sailors were called “sergeants” — by the Army folks. Either the Army folks ain’t got the brain cells to rub together to figure out after a year that it’s “(lieutenant) commander” and “petty officer” or they’re just too damn lazy and inconsiderate to give proper credit to the Navy folks.

Of course, from what I hear the Army is completely mismanaging the Navy IAs as it is. Staff Corps types being put into the line to manage fire teams, lawyers being made to run truck companies or manage DFACs, etc. — rather than use them as the engineers, architects, lawyers, or other professionals they were recruited into the military to be, and fill the jobs they volunteered for in theater. It’s pretty sad, really.

Comment by yup — August 6, 2007 @ 6:14 am

6. i just felt like the meow. mark got it! yup, watch super troopers.

Comment by mlah — August 6, 2007 @ 8:52 am