August 29, 2005

Disaster Relief

quick.

now that katrina has wrought her carnage on the gulf coast, how many nations are going to offer us some disaster relief?

you remember? the same nations who crowed so loudly about our stinginess during the tsunami aftermath?

where are the french to offer us a helping hand? they speak french after all by our good graces. see how they pay us back.

nada. nilch. zero.

i’ll be shocked if anyone helps at all.

1. Better we stand on our own without their help. Assholes. Great post!

Comment by og — August 30, 2005 @ 10:53 pm

2. Well I can’t believe the President didn’t see so much death and destruction coming from this Storm, I mean after all EVERYONE was warning him about it (even Shep Smith on Fox) for DAYS. He could have done SOMETHING! And he hasn’t sent in troops to quell the looting and pillaging going on. The chaos there is all his fault! Bush has had 5 years to raise up the populated areas along the Gulf Coast (for instance, New Orleans) so that they would no longer be under threat of flood, and instead wasted all his time and effort on grabbing oil deposits overseas. And if he hadn’t abrogated the non-ratified Kyoto Treaty, this may never have happened in the first place! Why oh why can’t we have a true leader like Howard Dean in the White House at a time like this?

Oh wait, I think I’ve been under the influence of the Euro weenies who hang out at the coffee bars here. Or perhaps I’m channeling young Casey.

Comment by yup — September 1, 2005 @ 4:21 am

3. Ummm…what, the President is going to stop a hurricane? He’s going to change the land structure of Louisiana? Sounds like you are equating him with God.

The President can’t sent troops into Louisiana…something called “posse comitatus”…Louisiana can use their National Guard, but even they were hindered by the hurricane.

So, any more bright statements?

Comment by Madame Butterfly — September 1, 2005 @ 12:13 pm

4. Sarcasm. Not a fan, Madame?

Comment by medium john — September 1, 2005 @ 2:26 pm

5. “It appears that the money has been moved in the president’s budget to handle homeland security and the war in Iraq, and I suppose that’s the price we pay. Nobody locally is happy that the levees can’t be finished, and we are doing everything we can to make the case that this is a security issue for us.”

— Walter Maestri, emergency management chief for Jefferson Parish, Louisiana; New Orleans Times-Picayune, June 8, 2004.

The Army Corps of Engineers had the plans to finish shoring up the levees, but George W. Bush refused to allocate the $20 million. I hope you’re all very happy with your tax breaks and unneccessary invasions now.

Comment by f'in-cheney — September 1, 2005 @ 7:07 pm

6. “Offers have been received from Russia, Japan, Canada, France, Honduras, Germany, Venezuela, Jamaica, Australia, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Greece, Hungary, Colombia, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Mexico, China, South Korea, Israel, the United Arab Emirates, NATO and the Organization of American States.”
    As well as Singapore and Sri Lanka.

“Still, Bush told ABC-TV: ‘I’m not expecting much from foreign nations because we hadn’t asked for it. I do expect a lot of sympathy and perhaps some will send cash dollars. But this country’s going to rise up and take care of it.’

“‘You know,’ he said, ‘we would love help, but we’re going to take care of our own business as well, and there’s no doubt in my mind we’ll succeed.'”

Comment by f'in-cheney — September 1, 2005 @ 11:46 pm

7. You send us chasing after shadows elder cracker Gus. Having observed at close hand the government contracting process, I can assert with some confidence that even had the President allocated some $20 million for the levees in Louisiana, the awarding of contracts would only now be under way, having gone through bid process, review, safety and environmental impact studies, etc. Money gained a year ago would still be tied up in bureaucratic red tape and the dike would remain uncompleted. So your snide attempt to cast blame on the President for the destruction in New Orleans is ineffective — except to your willfully uneducated cronies.

MJ, thanks for catching my earlier drift. Ironically, only a couple hours after I posted that, I watched a CNN anchor try to goad the Governor of Mississippi into casting blame on the Federal Government (which is lead by the President after all) for being too slow in responding to the disaster. The Gov got a bit riled up at that and refused to be drawn into the political fight championed by that network.

Comment by yup — September 2, 2005 @ 12:57 am

8. And Cracker Gus, lest you doubt me on the dike contracts thing, I will provide you with a message from a former director of the Army Corps of Engineers, Mike Parker (2001-2002):

Parker said a project dating to 1965 remains unfinished and that any recent projects would not have been in place by the time the hurricane struck even if they had been fully funded.

So there ya go, it’s Lyndon Johnson’s fault! The Democrats are to blame for this disaster — at least by your evidentiary standards.

Comment by yup — September 2, 2005 @ 1:22 am

9. And I seem to have heard that the dike which broke open was not even one which was due for upgrades by the Corps of Engineers? And that the dike burst at its base — which is not where the upgrades are focused? So do me some research, Cracker Gus, and tell me how this lack of funding from the Bush administration is the root of the New Orleans flooding!

Comment by yup — September 2, 2005 @ 2:24 am

10. Of couse Canada pledged to help. What we can give is probably just not enough.

Not to mention that Bush would probably rather that you struggle through it alone so he can bring up this disaster in speeches to bolster the strength and resolve to fight terrorism. Don’t hate me for saying that… just wait and when he uses it in a speech remember my comment.

Comment by Sean — September 2, 2005 @ 11:21 am

11. Ooh, $100 million from Qatar and $500 million from Kuwait! Cool.
    I hear San Antonio has had thousands of evacuees overrunning their capabilities. Tell us what’s up, Mlah!

Comment by f-in_cheney — September 5, 2005 @ 9:28 pm

12. damn MLAH, you are so on the money!!!! It’s all take and no give… great post man….

Comment by CT — September 7, 2005 @ 1:07 pm

13. fuck you stupid sand niggers our country owns your.. admit it you wish you were american your just jelious… go crawl under a rock and slit your wrist stupid sand monkies!!!

Comment by American — September 8, 2005 @ 3:19 am

14. ^^ that guy just made my day. Thank you “American,” for showing us the light with your insightful and eloquent comment.

Comment by medium john — September 9, 2005 @ 8:11 am

15. I just posted regarding President Clinton and his schedules and response times during three natural disasters during his presidency. Surprisingly…about the same as President Bush. Yet, you won’t hear the liberals bashing Clinton for it.

Comment by Mdm Butterfly — September 10, 2005 @ 10:06 am