July 25, 2005

Stop or I’ll Shoot

y’all know, the asshole in london who didn’t stop when the police told him to, and got himself dead for it? i just don’t really give a shit.

1. Fair enough.

Comment by The Holywriter — July 26, 2005 @ 2:51 pm

2. That’s because *you’re* an asshole. I might think that way eventually, but I’m waiting until a few questions are answered by the official inquiry, such as: 1) If he had been trailed from his home, why did the pigs wait until he was at the Tube station before stopping him? 2) Did these plainclothes officers identify themselves as cops? (Would you really stop for just any bunch of goons with guns drawn?) It’s funny how most of the people sticking up for the cops here are 1) caucasian and 2) not living in London.

Comment by f-in_cheney — July 26, 2005 @ 9:10 pm

3. yes, the police identified themselves. yes, people with guns get my attention. and i recommend to you gus, if someone pulls a gun, obey. as a martial artist i can do a lot of very nasty things to a human body, VERY rapidly. and i’m always learning more. but every instructor who has had the firearm question posed to him has always responded with ‘do what they say’.

Comment by mlah — July 26, 2005 @ 9:39 pm

4. And here I was thinking I was alone in that feeling of not giving a shit. Although I’m quite impressed with their marksmanship, 5 headshots is incredible.

Comment by Alli — July 27, 2005 @ 2:18 am

5. Chris Rock makes a joke about people who flee from cops. He says, “If the po-lice have to come get your ass, they’re gonna bring an ass-whoopin’ with them.”

I think the same pretty much applies to anyone who keeps running after the cops say “Stop, or we’ll shoot!” At that point, to keep running is to get what you deserve.

Comment by Venomous Kate — July 27, 2005 @ 4:38 pm

6. 7 pointblank shots to the head? What’s wrong with a taser or something?

Comment by f-in_cheney — July 27, 2005 @ 7:17 pm

7. 5 shots is what i’ve read. taser? when you think someone has their finger on a switch for a bomb? people have resisted a taser. shoot them in the head, and they won’t push that button.

Comment by mlah — July 27, 2005 @ 8:47 pm

8. As the police commander in London has pointed out, the *only* way to make sure the suicide bomber does not fire off his load is to destroy his thinking capacity (the human body is so resilient, look at people who have taken mortal wounds and still carried on the fight — Gus, perhaps you might read a few posthumous Medal of Honor citations to see what a human is capable of).

If you have a guy who you think is a suicide bomber, is acting suspicious (such as running away from police with drawn guns who are yelling “stop or we’ll shoot”) and heading into the subway tube, which has been the primary target of the terrorists this month, would you wait to see whether he actually blows himself up and kills a score of kids and their grannies, or would you act to prevent the potential terrorism? Gus, I believe, would just wait and hope that nobody dies, and if there were a bunch of dead people, he would tell their survivors that it was much better their loved ones died than he denied some asshat his civil rights.

And Gus, since you need a psych evaluation and all sorts of oversight from the government just to own a shotgun in the UK (and handgun ownership is even more restrictive), I would tend to believe as a matter of course that anyone carrying a handgun is either a very bad sort of criminal or a copper. Either way, as Mlah points out, when someone with a gun is ordering you to stop, you do it or be prepared to pay the price.

And I like the sneer in your postin, Gus, in which you reveal that you have absolutely no respect for the law enforcement community (calling them “pigs”). Yet you demand they respect your lilly white ass.

Comment by yup — July 28, 2005 @ 3:38 am

9. There have been numerous inconsistencies in various reports– another good reason to wait for the results of the official inquiry.
    It was first said that he was being investigated for a “direct” connection to the 7/7 attacks. Then they said he wasn’t. I heard 7 bullets to the head plus one to the shoulder. I heard he was *tackled* before being pumped full of lead (thus my question about “why not a taser?” if they’d bothered to get so close). If he had been tailed from his home, why wait until he gets anywhere near public transport? Stop him and take him in for questioning! I haven’t seen it written anywhere that they identified themselves, but it may be so. I’ve heard it said that everyone on his apartment block was being surveilled, so consider this scenario: he knew something and was afraid that the real perps or their associates wanted to kill him before he squealed, and he thought that was who was telling him “Stop!” with guns drawn. If they were kind of far away, making a break for it may have made sense. My main point is that NONE of us *really* know what happened yet.

“Gus, I believe, would just wait and hope that nobody dies”
    Oh kiss my ass, Yup.