August 26, 2004

J F’n Kerry

so i’m hearing a lot of stuff about the swift boat veterans for truth.

i’m sure everybody is.

the liberals want them to not be able to run tv ads. why?

aren’t these the same people who fashion themselves the champions of the 1st ammendment?

there are a lot of people who point to the fact that jfk volunteered for service and say his service to the country was noble, and that the swifties should not be questioning that service.

hello, mcfly! aren’t the swifties proud veterans who also took fire for their country? don’t they have just as much right to be heard as kerry?

why on earth does kerry want to shut them up?

1. Good question. However, I no longer care. I’m tired of this stupid election.

Comment by medium john — August 26, 2004 @ 10:56 pm

2. Love the Back to the Future reference.

Generally people want other people to shut up about them because it’s 1. slander or 2. the truth.

Just my GUESS since they do have the facts to back it up he wants them to shut up because it’s the truth.

Comment by rachel — August 26, 2004 @ 11:05 pm

3. i dont think people would mind if what the swifties were saying were true, and if the two authors havent been outted as being a liar and a racist.

Comment by tony — August 26, 2004 @ 11:21 pm

4. No one’s asking them to shut up. Kerry asked Bush to explicitly disassociate himself from them, as McCain did, but no, he intends to continue reaping any political windfall from their ads.
    In general, you can nitpick K’s medals all you want, and still his service will always look better than W’s. It’s not even funny. The Swift Boat group is just trying to throw up a smoke screen to distract everyone from that basic fact. W was a coward and a pussy, and all proud vets should be spanking his white ass for that.

Comment by f-in_cheney — August 27, 2004 @ 3:23 am

5. JfK’s campaign sent letters to all the major television outlets threatening to sue them if they played the commercials. Sounds more like intimidation than simply wanting W to repudiate them. Did JfK ever repudiate the likes of moveon.org for their portrayal of W as an incarnation of Hitler? Looks more like the swifty ads are hitting home, and the dims are on the defensive.

And there goes Gus, that paragon of service to his country, of putting his life on the line for his fellow citizens, the only uniform of which he ever wore was that of the McBurger joint for whom he worked, criticizing W’s service in the National Guard. Strap on a 2nd generation jet fighter and be vectored to a bogey, Gus, then open your trash-talking mouth.

I’ve been out of the country, Tony. Liar and racist? You mean the ads are sponsored by the Byrd man of WVa?

Comment by yup — August 27, 2004 @ 7:28 am

6. Yup, exactly what was it about his Nat’l Guard service that made W so “fit” to be commander-in-chief? KIDS DIED IN HIS PLACE and EVERYONE KNOWS IT! I can safely state that without ever having served myself. I hope he invites his Band of Country Club Fraternity Brothers up on stage with him at the convention, that should be rousing.

Comment by f-in_cheney — August 27, 2004 @ 11:48 am

7. “kids died in his place”

name one. i’ve never heard this claim before. which 527 did you read that on? trying to detract attention to carrie writing his own medal citations?

persoanlly, i think pilots are pussies who are afraid to mix it up. but then again, as a squid myself, i wasn’t exactly front line.

wait a minute! carrie was in the navy too! guess who was too chicken shit to volunteer for the infantry.

Comment by mlah — August 27, 2004 @ 12:24 pm

8. Good God, nobody gives a shit about the swift boat issue. All it’s going to do is turn people away from both Kerry and Bush and into the arms of Nader. People sitting on the fence don’t care about this stuff, otherwise Clinton would have never been elected.

Comment by Steven A. Adams — August 27, 2004 @ 12:34 pm

9. seems to me that all the swifties want is for kerry to pull the add that shows 23 swifties and only one is for kerry 18 against and 4 not sure

Comment by grumpygrady — August 27, 2004 @ 4:44 pm

10. Seems to me that the issuse is old stuff, but the FACT (if the allegations are true) is that Kerry is lying TODAY. That issue is what’s under scrutiny, unfortunately the issue of 30+ years ago comes up in an effort to prove it. . I served in RVN in the Central Highlands (68-69), and I never saw any of the atroticities which Kerry describes as rampant and permeated the entire effort in RVN and was condoned if not practiced up and down the chain of command!. I’m sure some occured and not only at My Lei, but they were not pervasive. I BELIEVE the swifties and that Kerry lied about his medals (ribbons), the reciept thereof and the throwing them (whichever) over the fence at the Whitehouse. I personally watched him (on TV)throw something over the fence and it was reported at that time as HIS MEDALS. I think and believe that Kerry is UNFIT for the highest job in the land. He is against pro life and basically the 1st amendment, and is not pro 2nd amendment, and hass flip flopped on every important issue at hand. He has lied and been caugt at it as reported by the The Liberal press. Savagemodel99

Comment by dad — August 27, 2004 @ 8:18 pm

11. http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2004/08/27/barnes/index.html
    In a video originally posted on the Web by a pro-Kerry organization in Austin, Texas, Ben Barnes, a former lieutenant governor of Texas, apologized for his role in getting a young George W. Bush into the Texas Air National Guard while young men who were not from prominent or wealthy families “died in Vietnam.”
    “Let’s talk a minute about John Kerry and George Bush, and I know them both,” said Barnes in the video, which was filmed at a gathering of about 200 Kerry supporters in Austin on May 27. “I got a young man named George W. Bush into the Texas National Guard when I was lieutenant governor, and I’m not necessarily proud of that. But I did it. I got a lot of other people in the National Guard because I thought that was what people should do when you’re in office, and you help a lot of rich people.”

“And I walked to the Vietnam Memorial the other day,” Barnes continued, “and I looked at the names of the people that died in Vietnam, and I became more ashamed of myself than I have ever been, because it was the worst thing I ever did, was help a lot of wealthy supporters and a lot of people who had family names of importance get into the National Guard. And I’m very sorry about that, and I’m very ashamed, and I apologize to you as voters of Texas.”

Barnes then condemned the Republican attacks on John Kerry’s war service: “And I tell you that for the Republicans to jump on John Kerry and say that he is not a patriot after he went to Vietnam and was shot at and fought for our freedom and came back here and protested against the war, he’s a flip-flopper, let me tell you: John Kerry is a 100 times better patriot than George Bush or Dick Cheney.”

Barnes’ story about Bush and the Air National Guard first broke in 1999 as the then Texas governor was mounting his first campaign for the presidency. Bush insisted at the time that neither he nor his father sought Barnes’ assistance. “I can tell you what happened,” said Bush. “Nothing happened. My Guard unit was looking for pilots and I flew for the Guard. I’m proud of my service and any allegation that my dad asked for special favors is simply not true … I didn’t ask anybody to help get me to the Guard either.”

Barnes said at the time that it was a wealthy Bush family friend, a Houston oilman named Sidney Adger, who came to him with the request to help the younger Bush.

Comment by f-in_cheney — August 28, 2004 @ 4:40 am

12. Gus, despite Mlah’s claims to the contrary, I believe he is the recipient of a campaign medal (as am I), which is defined as participating in a naval landing against an armed adversary, or participation in some other activity against an armed adversary, for which there is no other appropriate campaign recognition (for example, the troops in Iraqi Freedom receive the GWOT Expeditionary Medal). Although the campaigns in question were not televised, nor matters of punditry by the Talking Head Establishment, that would seem to me to be a basis from which to speak on matters military. Savagemodel99 was in Vietnam at the same time as JfK, and he witnessed JfK’s actions upon returning to the land of the big PX. Again, he has a legitimate basis for talking about matters military.

You mocked the Boy Scouts when you were a kid. You got pulled over by a cop recently. Those are your experiences with uniforms. You speak from a position of great authority, pal. Oh, and Gus, kids are getting killed in your place and everyone knows it.

You cite a former politician (Democrat), who was acting in a political manner to counter another politician (Republican) during a campaign, in support of yet another politician (Democrat). Wow, a believable story if ever I heard one. Perhaps he had been listening to a lot of CCR (I ain’t no Senator’s son)?

Do you deny the legitimacy of the National Guard in our military structure? Pray tell how it should really be?

It’s ironic that those on the Left attack the sons of rich and prominent families for serving in what for all intents and purposes is the Home Guard, while at the same time mocking a rich football player who gave it up for dreams of “being Rambo” (and got killed in the process).

I also find it highly ironic that the pro-incumbent 527s are being outspent by the anti-incumbent 527s by a factor of 60:1. Yet the swiftys draw the harshest condemnation. Because their message draws too much attention to the uncomfortable truth?

Military service, or lack thereof, as a criteria to judge eligibility to be Commander-in-Chief was thrown out the window in 1992. It no longer matters (as JfK himself proclaimed back then). So why does his campaign base their entire message on that 1/180th of his life??????

JfK, the candidate enshrined in the Socialist Democratic Republic of Vietnam’s museum to the heroes of the war against American aggression. JfK, the candidate endorsed by the Democratic Peoples’ Republic of Korea, whose speeches are played on state radio. JfK, the candidate supported by Hizbollah (when they’re not too busy blowing up pizza joints and ice cream parlors). Vote JfK, y’all, and join the rest of world society!

Comment by yup — August 28, 2004 @ 11:01 am

13. “Oh, and Gus, kids are getting killed in your place and everyone knows it.”
    To the best of my knowledge, my number hasn’t come up yet.
    “You cite a former politician (Democrat)… Wow, a believable story if ever I heard one.”
    Hello, no one has doubted Mr. Barnes that I know of. Speak up if you know something we don’t. Splash it across the front pages.
    “Savagemodel99 was in Vietnam at the same time as JfK, and he witnessed JfK’s actions upon returning to the land of the big PX. Again, he has a legitimate basis for talking about matters military.”
    He didn’t see any atrocities, but says he’s sure they happened, just not as prevalently as Kerry claimed. How many atrocities are acceptable, exactly? He seems most perturbed by K’s pro-choice and anti-war views, frankly. Get over it, Pops.
    “Do you deny the legitimacy of the National Guard in our military structure?”
    No, just the “Champagne Unit” with members of the Dallas Cowboys and the sons of Bush, Connolly, Bentsen, Tower. “One member of the unit recalls, ‘Most of us were members of the Houston and River Oaks country clubs.'”
    I never heard anybody say anything bad about Pat Tillman. If so, they would be corrected by every liberal I know. You’re trippin.
    Anybody can do 527 groups. Your 60:1 ratio looks not just overinflated but also senseless:
    WILLIAM SCHNEIDER, CNN SENIOR POLITICAL ANALYST: “In fact, most of the spending by independent groups by far has been to help Kerry, not Bush. Since March, pro-Kerry groups have spent more than $40 million on more than 56,000 ads in the top 100 markets. That’s nearly 15 times as much as the $2.7 million spent by pro-Bush groups on 2,700 ads in those markets. The Bush campaign raised so much money, Bush supporters saw no reason to form independent spending groups.”
    Bush is a pussy, and you, Yup, are a stupid pussy.

Comment by f-in_cheney — August 28, 2004 @ 1:47 pm

14. f-in, you call Bush and yup pussies. I don’t know Bush, but I do know yup. He ain’t no pussy. He’s been there and done that. yup has spent more than a decade doing what needed to be done. There are many others that have sacrificed time, buddies, and there loved ones. Some post here, such as mlah and pop. I don’t begrudge you the right to mouth off. That is what I spent eight years of my life on active duty for. That is why I am still working for the DOD.

What pisses me and most honest people off, is that you are sitting here in this great country with the rest of your pinko commie friends calling people pussies for wanting the truth about a candidate to come out. We all know Bush was in the ANG flying F-102s. http://216.239.41.104/search?q=cache:4_g-ImwCaHcJ:aerospaceweb.org/question/history/q0185.shtml+&hl=en We know Kerry was somewhere in SE Asia, though he can’t remember if it was Vietnam or Cambodia. I honor both men for their service, but want Kerry to tell the truth about anything. He can’t play both sides of the issue at hand.

As for the 527 adds, where was Kerry when MoveOn(to France).org claimed that Bush was equivalent to Hitler? There was no rapid condemnation from his camp. Kerry cries about unfair linkage of 527s to the Bush campaign but not his own? What is good for one is good for all, right? That is what liberals profess to believe, at least all the many that I know.

f-in, what this all boils down to is that the Kerry campaign is a bunch of pussies. You all bring up your candidate’s background as the issue of the campaign and then cry when the Left’s sanctioned history turns out to be a load of crap.

By the way, what have you done to secure your rights for the wonderful right of free speech that you obviously love to use so much? What price did you pay? Really, I am curious. I just want to know if you are all talk, or if there is any action.

Thanks in advance.

Comment by RojoXia — August 29, 2004 @ 11:10 am

15. “How many atrocities are acceptable, exactly?” Ask the NYTimes and other prominent media. They ignored atrocities for decades in order to glorify the path of socialism and its modern champions the USSR, PRC, etc. They praised the spunky freedom fighters of Ho Chi Minh while ensuring negative coverage of our own efforts abroad. Sure, situations such as My Lai happened, yet reading news of the period (or even the revisionist history texts put out by your ivory tower pals) — or JfK’s testimony to Congress, one would conclude that My Lai was the norm. Hell, they even try to obfuscate the truth about Alger Hiss and the Rosenbergs every chance they can.

You take Barnes’ word at face value. You publically doubt Bush’s. You have made a decision on who is more believable. Why, given the politically charged nature of Barnes’ utteraces? What truth sings to you that I am missing?

So the rich or prominent families should not be part of the military? It’s only for us poor and downtrodden? How enlightened of you! And you missed the diatribes launched against Tillman by some of your fellow Leftists — carried in national syndication in some cases? And the embarrased/ing silence from the rest of your ilk? Or is this part of your revisionist program, denying the events so that history never records them?

The Guard has a history in the 20th Century of being called to do its job overseas (WWI to France, 1950 to Korea). Everyone who signs up knows that is the possibility. Except perhaps the ignorant who thought they were actually getting something (eg, GI Bill) for nothing……

Even your evidence shows about 20:1 spending by leftist 527s over those supporting the incumbent cause. The irony is that you call the citation of this enormous spending imbsalance ‘senseless.’ Add to that the fact the expenditures by swiftboaters of what, $1 million, has caused such apoplexy in the JfK camp. Who have not-so-tenuous connections to the 527s, themselves.

Since you are into name calling, Gus, you white boy elitist technocrat from upstate, I hereby label you an irrelevancy. Why don’t you go blow some more of your grey matter on whichever designer drug has grabbed your fancy lately and leave us to our ‘senseless’ discussions.

Comment by yup — August 29, 2004 @ 7:03 pm

16. Hey losers, I’m going to protest in NYC for a few days now. If you don’t hear from me from a while, it’s probably because I got arrested. Enjoy the echo chamber of your own BS while I’m gone.

Comment by f-in_cheney — August 29, 2004 @ 7:29 pm

17. woohoo! he’s gone! what a hippy, he went all the way up to new york just to carry around a sign and act like an asstard?

Comment by medium john — August 29, 2004 @ 9:44 pm