August 20, 2004

Salsa

Filed under: Misc — mlah @ 5:37 am

beth, of ‘She Who WILL Be Obeyed’, is starting a bonfire of the recipes string. for those of you who do not know, there is a ‘bonfire of the vanities’ that is getting passed around from blog to blog, weekly. they pretty much just give a state of the blog.

beth is giving recipes. actually, she wants everybody to pony up their own recipes to share.

so here is mine.

salsa.

this is my dad’s recipe.

it’s a pretty simple ratio.

1 tomato
1 serrano pepper
1 green onion spear
1 clove of garlic
1 dash of lemon juice
white onion to appearance.
salt to taste
maybe some cilantro

i usually start with around 10 tomatoes, and the other ingredients accordingly multiplied to 10. use fresh tomatoes if you can, but i have used canned tomatoes once or twice. they just don’t taste as well though.

multiplying the ingredients by 10 usually means that i need an entire white onion.

start by cleaning the vegetables. then dice the white onion, green onion and throw them in a large bowl. don’t worry if it looks like a LOT of onions. it’s ok. next, bruise the garlic cloves and shuck them. then mince them as finely as you can, throw them in with the onions.

now, get a large pot and boil some water in it. cut 3-4 slices vertically on the sides of the tomatoes and drop a couple in the water. you’re not actually going to cook the tomatoes, but watch them in the water for a couple of minutes. remove them as soon as the skin begins to peel. all that boiling the tomatoes does is loosen the skin. when you remove them, i put them in my collander in the sink. repeat until all of the tomatoes are ready to be skinned. run cold water over the tomatoes and rip the skin off. then core the tomatoes.

it is important at this step that you realize you are about to play with fire. and it will burn you! serrano peppers are hot. cut the ends off of the peppers and then finely (as fine as you can) mince the peppers. throw them in with the onions.

now, i purposely had you dice the peppers immediately before dicing the tomatoes because the pepper oil is now on your fingers. the tomatoes are good and wet and will help remove the pepper oil from your hands.

whatever you do, after dicing the peppers, do NOT rub your eye, go to the bathroom, or try and get freaky with your spouse. it hurts!

after the pepper has been added, dice the tomatoes and throw in the mix. add a dash of lemon juice. salt to taste. you can add some more white onion if it looks right.

extra bonus point steps.:

add a couple of sprigs of cilantro. be careful. cilantro is strong. if you add too much, after a couple of days sitting in the frig, the salsa will taste like nothing but cilantro. my recommendation is to use just two sprigs of the stuff. clean it and bruise the leaves. throw them in.

hotness. if you feel like a resident of maryland. just reduce the number of peppers. if you feel like a texan, double them. once in a while i cheat and just use red pepper out of the shaker instead of dicing the serranos. this is usually because it is damned hard to get serranos here in maryland.

the longer you leave this in the frig, the hotter it will get. you’ve been warned

enjoy

1. my eyes are watering just reading that…

Comment by Kristie — August 20, 2004 @ 4:55 pm

2. The First Carnival of the Recipes!!

I want to thank all of you who have submitted recipes. I am really pleased with the response from bloggers and commenters who answered my call for food, food, food! There are recipes here to fit everyone’s taste – enjoy!…

Trackback by She Who Will Be Obeyed! — August 20, 2004 @ 7:09 pm

3. I’ve got about 1/2 pint in the fridge right now. I’m going to get some wavy lays pot chips and chow down. Maybe tomorrow i’ll cook up some tacos, if mom can eat them. It also makes a good taco sauce! savagemodel99

Comment by dad — August 20, 2004 @ 10:40 pm

4. ink O’ The Day – Carnival of the Recipes

Late but I’m doing it anyway…Carnival of the Recipes! Bread and Butter Pickles (shamelessly stolen from Annette) 1 cup water 1 cup apple cider vinegar 1 1/2 cups sugar pinch of kosher salt 1/2 teaspoon each of mustard seed, turmeric,…

Trackback by Sekimori.org - Live Blog — August 20, 2004 @ 11:49 pm

5. mmmm that sounds good. it would probably help with my cold, too.
    my friends and i go to this pho bo ga place (vietnamese beef noodle soup) and they always give you this dish of bean sprouts, mint sprigs, and a little jalapeno pepper. my friend and i were poking at it, taking itty bitty bites of it to see if we would die, when the guy next to us picks up the pepper on his plate and eats it whole. it was awesome. i wish i could do that and not choke to death.

Comment by tina — August 21, 2004 @ 5:08 pm

6. Sound like a great Salsa. What is your receipe called?

Comment by Peach — August 21, 2004 @ 6:48 pm

7. peach, not trying to be a butt. i just call it salsa. or really, hot sauce.

Comment by mlah — August 21, 2004 @ 11:56 pm

8. What do you mean “maybe cilantro?”

Love the new look. thought not sure how new it is – I’ve been busy.

Comment by Mark — August 22, 2004 @ 10:05 am

9. also, do you want me to send you some peppers? I’m growing them in back.

Comment by mark — August 22, 2004 @ 10:06 am

10. some people really hate cilantro mark. if i know the person in question does not like it, i skip it.

and just like the serrano peppers, cilantro can be hard to find. especially up here in bland maryland. so if i can’t find it, it doesn’t go in.

oh no! you’ve got my secret recipe! post that recipe for guac! i want to know.

Comment by mlah — August 22, 2004 @ 11:46 am

11. I live in Hanover, Pa., 10 minutes north of “bland maryland,” and I have no trouble finding cilantro and serranos at the local Giant supermarket. Also, there is a little Mexican shop in town that almost always stocks those items.

As for canned tomatoes, in the fall, winter and spring, when fresh garden tomatoes are not available, I like to use canned tomatoes. They are riper and sweeter and don’t froth up when you blend them like a less than perfectly ripe fresh tomato.

Sometimes I do half and half.

If you like chunky salsa, then canned tomatoes aren’t so great, but if you like the thin, watery Mexican style, they work just fine.

Also, have you tried the canned chipotle peppers in your salsa? I’ve tried the dried and the canned, and I prefer the canned for the convenience. They taste as good or better, too.

Here’s my recipe for guac, if you’re interested.

Take two Hass avocados, peeled and pitted and cut into 1 inch square chunks and put them in a bowl.

Add a small handful of finely chopped cilantro leaves, one or two smashed, pressed or finely chopped cloves of garlic, and one finely diced green onion.

Squeeze about a tablespoon or two of lime juice on it all, add some salt and pepper, and mash it all together with a fork until it’s of the desired consistency.

Some like to add a lot of garlic, chiles, onions or even tomatoes to their guacamole, but sometimes I like just avocado, salt and lime for a fresher taste.

Comment by ET — September 4, 2004 @ 2:53 pm