August 18, 2004

Dizzy Memes

Filed under: Memes — mlah @ 11:11 pm

i’ve never really participated in any of these. but figure i might give this a try for a while.

dizzy girl makes a hump day meme every wednesday. we’ll see if i can remember to do this each wednesday.

open the meme below

01. Were you a good student in High School? Belong to any clubs or gangs?

i was a relatively good student in hs. i took mostly honors classes and got b’s and c’s in those. the regular classes i got a’s in without trying. i played football. so iguess tha was a gang? didn’t really belong to any cliques.

02. Where was your first job and did you like it? my first job was at a ‘big-T tastee freeze’ in thoreau, nm. i was 13. all i did was sweep and mop the floor.

03. Did you go to college and if so where (also if you haven’t gone to college yet, where do you plan to attend?)? i went to college? yeah, ok, ready for the list? texas a&m at tarleton station, university of texas at arlington. mountainview community college. tarrant county community college. defense language institute. brigham young university, university of maryland, european division. university of maryland.

04. What did you major in and did you change it at all?
i started in aerospace engineering, went to physics, then to mechanical engineering. then i quit and joined the navy. they made me a cryptologist, and a linguist. i finally bgot my bs in computer science.

05. If you didn’t attend college then what did you do? Join the military, travel the world, work at McDonalds? quit school to join the navy. they put me in school.

06. Favorite class of all time and/or most memorable experience?
aerospace dynamics.

07. And of course, your least favorite class or fellow student..
health. my teacher just really sucked. all he did was mack on the chicks in class.

08. You’re now a parent and you’re waiting to pick up your child from school and you see the local school bully start beating up on a innocent child for his sneakers – what do you do?
a) approach the school officials immediately or b) pull the bully off and explain to him that you know where his family lives, what they eat and you know how to shoot with the skill of a marksmen and c) screw all the above, go and pull his mean ass off the kid and drag him to the dreaded Principal Office.

none of the above. i do this:
D) yank his sorry ass off of the other kid, just a little too roughly, then ask where his dad is. i’d like to have a little chat with him.

1. what? are we supposed to answer the questions too?

Comment by medium john — August 18, 2004 @ 11:54 pm

2. Aw shit.. I forgot about PE/Health… I hated that class with a passion.. so much so that I argued with the schoolboard that I played sports all year long and shouldn’t be required to take it.

I lost… even with Dad on the schoolboard.. bastards!

Comment by rachel — August 19, 2004 @ 3:22 am

3. Thanks for the chuckle, Rachel.
    Mlah, option D would only work in Texas. You’d be arrested for child abuse and assault in Maryland. In this state, the preferred answer is A, whereupon you would be told to butt out of school business because you haven’t got a degree in education and are thus incapable of understanding how they run the program. What you really witnessed, interfered with, really, is the kids’ free expression of their angst caused by overbearing parents.

Comment by yup — August 19, 2004 @ 6:10 am

4. You’re right yup about the excuses constantly given to why kids act the way they do, then get a diagnosis, say it’s the jock kids faults, and then go on medication. No one is made accountable! (don’t even get me started on this) But I would still scare the shit out of the kid. If someone does that to mine, that kid’s toast.

Health class was a not enough and a little too late. By the time I was a senior, a few girls were already in their 8th-9th month of pregnancy! So much for teaching about the “birds and the bees” Not sure what the parents were doing at the time.

Comment by CJ — August 19, 2004 @ 9:55 am

5. i wasn’t trying to say health was a bad class. just my class was bad. it was only half of a year, and for that time i was forced to watch this coach hit on all the high school girls. and they just loved him. we never did anything health wise.

maybe if he had just taught once in a while.

Comment by mlah — August 19, 2004 @ 10:04 am

6. I agree with Yup and CJ, but don’t forget to also blame video games! That’s right, no situation like that can fail to bring about (completely unfounded) finger-pointing at such revolutionary and entertaining games such as Grand Theft Auto III. It always happens.

Comment by medium john — August 19, 2004 @ 12:15 pm

7. You’re from New Mexico originally? A friend of mine is visiting her parents near Las Cruces as we speak. I’m looking after her cat.
    What made you decide to quit school and join the Navy?
    Did you enjoy the Defense Language Institute? As a language person myself, I kind of drool over what I suppose the quality of the instruction would be like.

Comment by f-in_cheney — August 19, 2004 @ 3:01 pm

8. Great read, you are linked my friend.

Comment by Steven A. Adams — August 19, 2004 @ 6:53 pm

9. i’m such a shameless link whore!

Comment by mlah — August 19, 2004 @ 9:07 pm