April 26, 2004

Abortion

Celebrities at the march, from Fox News

they just had the womens march here in dc for abortion rights. i just watched a fox news segment on the march.

really, i couldn’t care less about the march. ‘protests’ per se are a waste of time. i heard some estimates that there were a million and a half people marching. no official estimates because of louie farrakhan’s whining after the million man march fiasco.

think about it. a million and a half people. and a whole work day. 12 million man hours. that’s some serious work time that went to naught. maybe they accomplished something. i hope so for their sake.

there were a bunch of celebrities there. i saw a bunch of people on the news. cybil shepherd, ashley judd, whoopi goldberg, hillary, and mcclean stevenson just to name a few.

now for the bitching i’ve been trying to set up.

isn’t the democratic party supposed to be the compassionate party? did anyone besides me notice the hate?

one of there witty riposte’s was ‘barbara bush should have had a choice’. ‘the pope’s mom should have had a choice’. i think they crossed the line just a little.

the vehemence and the hate. the democrats just bristle with rage, and shake with fear. the democratic party has become THE party of fear. do what we say, or the mean old republicans will get you. that’s practically what they are saying.

simpletons.

do they really believe that republicans seek to control womens bodies? well, put the sexual inuendos aside. do democrats really believe that somewhere the illuminati are sitting areound a big oak table, ringing their hands while smoking cigars, and plotting ways to gain control of a woman’s body?

if they actually slowed down for just a second and listened to the reasoning on the right, they would possibly understand that there is a difference of opinion, but not some grans scheme to dictate to women their bodily rights.

Celebrities at the march, from Fox News

the difference of opinion is simple. the pro-choice side believes that a woman’s body is hers to do with as she sees fit. or unfir for that matter. the pro-life side believes that unborn fetus’ are poeple too, therefore, who chooses for them? is there a single person on earth who would claim that they would volunteer to be aborted because it was going to change their mom’s college plans? i think the volunteers would be very few and far between.

this is why the vehemence, the level of hate shocks me. i can understand some people believing that fetus’ are not people, so do as you will. i would disagree, but that’s their prerogative. and i can be civil about that.

pro-choice absolutely refuses to acknowledge that there is another side to the issue. they just yell louder and louder that pro-life is seeking to legislate their bodies.

how do they know?

Celebrities at the march, from Fox News

and even if they did/do, to call for an abortion of the president? wow. ya, know, i really dislike kaiser bill. he was, and is slick, but i don’t wish death on the guy. come on.

i don’t pretend to know what the answer is. hasn’t really affected me in any way. so i’m lucky. but surely, we could talk a little and settle on something. i tend to lean pro-life, just because i do not know for sure at what point life begins. kind of a better safe than sorry attitude.

cop out? maybe. but i’m safe.

and this whole ‘it’s a womans choice’ slogan.

i’ve taken ashley judd off of my list.

men have no choice. still.

other news, my supe claims to ‘love whoopi’. she caught hell for that statement.

1. I was down there having lunch with a friend. Best tshirt award goes to “keep your bush out of mine”

Comment by Mark — April 27, 2004 @ 10:13 pm

2. that is pretty funny.

Comment by mlah — April 27, 2004 @ 10:58 pm

3. There are so many issues related to abortion. Science, religion, life, death…

No one has the right answer. I don’t think no one ever will.

But for every man who gets mad at not having a choice, how many did have a choice, and didn’t make the right one to begin with? As long as that problem exists, so will abortion.

I’d rather see it legal and controlled, rather than go back to the dark ages before Roe v. Wade.

Comment by Madame Butterfly — April 28, 2004 @ 8:07 pm

4. First of all, I have to agree with mlah about some of the mean speech on display during the march. I read Gloria Steinem’s gem that “This government is the greatest danger on earth.” Lose it, I say, that b.s. helps the cause not a bit. For the Pro-Choice movement to hold its ground, the argument has to stay focused on the same thing Roe v. Wade did: the right to privacy.

I remember in the 2000 Bush-McCain debate in S.C., Bush and McCain were pressed by Larry King and back-of-the-pack Alan Keyes to reconcile their Pro-Life stances with their comments not to involve their families in the debate. Both refused, saying it was “personal”, “family” matter. To me, that stance lies at the heart of the Pro-Choice movement and Bush and McCain at that debate unwittingly endorsed it. They cannot have the luxury of saying they are Pro-Life but keep a private family exemption for themselves.

Is abortion wrong? Of course it is, and every woman I know who has had one is haunted by that decision. If the situation arose, I would beg and plead with my girlfriend not to do it, but in the end it comes down to one thing: it’s her life and her body, and not my place to tell her what to do with it.

M.Butterfly: I would be curious to know where you stand on parental notification laws. If I were a daddy, I would want to know what my minor daughter had done and hopefully have a chance to counsel her about it.

thx mlah for the soapbox, and no I don’t think you’re a simpleton.

Comment by draygon — April 30, 2004 @ 8:10 am

5. I have tried to debate this topic civilly with coworkers (the nation’s best and brightest, or so they claim). All I get for trying to understand their point of view is a big lecture about how abortions were advertised in newspapers around the 13 colonies, and were not made illegal until mean old Queen Victoria came along (say, wasn’t she a woman) with all her nasty, brutish morals (hey lady, give me back my whiskey!). And how women (womyn?) were forced to go to back-alley clinics for a rusty clothes hangar treatment. (Now how many of those REALLY occurred? Anyone got a true, factual answer, or would I just receive a lot of knee-jerk flames?)

Thing is, all of this pretty much took place before I was born (well, before I was able to spell refridgerator). It’s ancient history to me. I don’t care about what people of a previous generation couldn’t do; the situation has been fixed, the genie is out of the bottle, and (as with the repeal of Prohibition) will bever come back again. Just don’t make me participate in your abortions, ladies, that’s all I ask. You can have all you want.

Now as for the men not having any ‘choice’ here — for the past several decades, women (womyn?) have been demanding that men become all sissified and in touch with their feelings. Well, many of us have complied with those demands, and as felling people, in touch with our inner selves, we feel that we deserve to be consulted on an issue that has ramifications for our persons. (And I speak as the father of a 3-month old; my peson doesn’t particularly enjoy waking up at 3 am to rock her back to sleep, but it’s my job, eh. And I pray that my country doesn’t enable her to take any medical treatments [which includes abortion and RU-486] without my knowledge until she’s legally able to enter a binding contract.)

Ta.

Comment by yup — May 20, 2004 @ 9:09 pm

6. Dude, McLean Stevenson died on February 16, 1996. I doubt that you saw him on TV at a rally in 2004. Maybe on a MASH re-run.

Comment by marcus — June 18, 2004 @ 8:37 pm